In recent years, luxury vinyl flooring, also known as luxury vinyl tile or LVT, has become extremely popular among American homeowners. In fact, according to a 2022 study, it is #2 in popularity, behind only hardwood flooring.
Why is luxury vinyl flooring so popular? It comes down to its versatility, easy maintenance, and durability. Plus, it can be more affordable in comparison to hardwood and tile flooring.
Please read on to learn what to know about luxury vinyl flooring and how it might be a great choice for you.
What Luxury Vinyl Flooring Is
Luxury vinyl flooring can come in plank or tile form. It can mimic natural surfaces such as wood as well as marble, slate, and other types of stone.
Multiple layers of plastic and padding go into the construction of this flooring. The thickness of tiles and planks can vary, as can the composition of the core layer. These variables affect durability and how comfortable and quiet the walking surface is.
The top layer that you actually walk on is called the wear layer, and it’s clear. Beneath it is a layer of paper with high-def images of the surface you want to mimic printed on it. Underneath that is the core layer, providing stability and cushioning.
Features and Benefits of Luxury Vinyl Flooring
So now here are some things to know and consider regarding luxury vinyl flooring before you purchase it:
- The high-res imaging used in this flooring creates a more realistic appearance than you typically get from laminate flooring. A wide variety of textures, grain patterns, and colors is available.
- It’s highly water-resistant. Some versions repel water so well that they’re considered waterproof.
- LVT is easy to install. Part of the reason for that is that, as with laminate flooring, it can usually be installed without gluing or fastening to the subfloor. Various widths and lengths are available for the pieces, which click or snap together, creating a watertight seal in the process.
- Luxury vinyl flooring can create the look of hardwood without the hardwood cost. It can save a homeowner hundreds or even thousands of dollars compared to hardwood.
- Long-term exposure to sunlight can cause contraction or expansion of luxury vinyl flooring. There are ways to mitigate that risk.
- Luxury vinyl flooring isn’t as susceptible to scratching and probably should be used where scratching will be likely. Check the manufactures warranty for wear layer coverages.
Where To Use Luxury Vinyl Flooring
Although luxury vinyl flooring can work well just about anywhere, there are two applications that it’s particularly good for.
The first of those, due to the flooring’s water-resistant properties, is in places that get wet. Some examples include kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, entryways where people come in out of the rain, and playrooms where kids might spill things. It also can be a good option for a room where a puppy not yet house-trained will be since it’s moisture-resistant and easy to clean. Another reason luxury vinyl flooring is great for places like kitchens and bathrooms is that in addition to being water-resistant, it’s also resistant to damage and stains from cleaners and other chemicals likely to be used in those rooms.
The other great location for luxury vinyl flooring, thanks to its durability, is the place that gets a lot of traffic. Examples would include, again, kitchens and entryways.
Great American Flooring
For more than 35 years now, Great American Flooring has been helping Wichita, KS homeowners install and maintain beautiful, durable floors. We’re a family-owned business with a broad range of experience in both commercial and residential settings. Our experience, along with our hard-earned reputation for reliability, quality, and accountability, has made us the regional leader in the flooring business.
If you’re considering new flooring and want to learn more about pricing and features for luxury vinyl flooring or any other type of flooring, we can help. Together, we’ll look at your needs and the pros and cons of different options. There’s no one best flooring option; there’s only what’s best for you. We’ll help you be able to make the choice that’s best for you.
Need a quote or have some questions? Contact us today at 316-264-3660 or with our convenient online request form!